To edit a WordPress Menu, please follow the instructions below.
- Log into your WordPress site using the link, username and password provided at training.
- In the dashboard, look for the link on the left that says "Appearance." From there you can click on the fly out menu that says "Menus." Or if you click on "Appearance" the "Menus" link will appear below.
- Make sure the drop down for the "Select menu to edit" is on the proper menu. For the majority of sites this won't need to be changed. But if your menu structure that you want to change isn't showing up, select the proper menu here.
- To rearrange the menu, drag and drop the items to where you want them. Indented menu items are sub menu items of the item above it. You can go multiple levels deep but generally it isn't recommended to go more than 3.
- To add items to the menu, the left side will have "Pages" "Links" "Categories" and others. "Pages" and "Links" will be the most commonly used and will be discussed here.
- To add a link to a new page, click on the "Pages" drop down and most likely the page you just created is under "Most Recent." If it isn't, then use the "View All" or "Search" links under the "Pages" drop down to find your page.
Put a check box next to your page and then click "Add To Menu". It will add it to the bottom of the menu. You can then drag and drop it to where you want it to be. Don't forget to hit "Save Menu" when complete. Your changes will now show up on your site.
If you wish for the page to have a different or shorter title than what the page actually is, once in the menu bar structure of the menu page of the dashboard, click the little down arrow on the right side of the menu item that says "Page". This will expand a section where you can change the wording under the "Navigation Label."
- To add a link to a page that isn't inside your WordPress site, click the "Links" drop down on the menu page. From here type in the link you want it to go to, starting with the http:// or https:// and then in the box below type what you want the link on the menu bar to say. Click "Add To Menu" and it will add it to the bottom of the menu. You can then drag and drop it to where you want it to be. Don't forget to hit "Save Menu" when complete. Your changes will now show up on your site.
- Finally, if you want to change the title of or delete something from your menu, find the item and click the little down arrow on the right side of the menu item. This will expand a section where you can change the wording under the "Navigation Label." If you wish to delete the item, click the "remove" link.